- Sign In to Your Account Email Address.
- Box at U-M may be used with some types of sensitive university data, including Protected Health Information (PHI), according to the U-M Sensitive Data Guide. You are responsible for using Box appropriately with sensitive university data and taking the necessary precautions.
- Box Sync for Mac lets you sync your files from your Box account across all of your devices when you install the app on them, as well. You can select which files you want to sync and which you want.
It supports sync with Android, iOS, other Mac computers, MTP and mounted devices. Online accounts supported are iCloud, Dropbox, Google. Moreover, you can sync data on Mac OS X with Windows services also - Outlook, Office 365 Home and Business accounts (sync with One Drive also supported). The list of sync options is impressive as.
On this page:
Box cloud storage will be retired at Indiana University in spring 2021. Migration of IU's Box data began in June 2020. For details about cloud storage options at IU, see Storage @ IU.
After your files are migrated from Box, the Box versions become read-only. Migrations will be finished by March 2021, and access to Box will be terminated in May 2021.
The Sync feature for Box allows you to keep files synchronized between your Windows or macOS desktop and your Box account. This is especially useful if you use an application that needs direct access to the files locally (that is, linked files, or collections of data files), or if you have files that you work on frequently or wish to access offline. You can also use Box Sync as a migration tool to transfer data to Box.
For details about Box Sync, see Using Box Sync and the BoxSync training video.
Install Box Sync
To install Box Sync:
Box Sync For Mac
- Log into your IU Box account.
- Click your name in the upper right, and select Apps from the drop-down list.
- On the 'Apps' page, if you don't see Box Sync, click Official Box Apps on the right, and look for Box Sync there.
- Follow the prompts to download and install Box Sync.Box Sync will create a folder on your computer called
Box Sync. Don't rename this folder; if you do, Box will re-create it and duplicate the synced files. You can select an alternate location for your Box Sync folder, but only immediately after installing Sync. For instructions, see Modifying the Location of the Box Sync Folder.
- After installing Box Sync, log into the Box Sync client.
- In the 'Email' box, enter your IU email address. Click Use Single Sign-on (SSO).
Use Box Sync to sync folders
Box Sync is best suited for quick local or offline access to frequently used files, or situations where an application needs simultaneous access to multiple files in a folder. To sync a folder to your computer, click the folder's bar from the list of folders in Box. On the right, under 'Details', toggle the horizontal Sync to Desktop switch.
In Box, it's best to keep files in folders. If you put any individual files in your computer's
Box Sync folder, Box will sync those files at the top level of your Box account. For ease of file management, either create a private folder in the top level of your Box account, sync it, and then put the files there, or move the loose files into folders after syncing them.
- Do not sync all folders within your Box account. Your Box account has an unlimited quota, and your computer has finite resources. Syncing all folders may lead to reduced computer performance.
- Box does not sync files by default; you'll need to log into Box on the web and indicate which folders or subfolders you wish to sync.
- You must have Editor permissions or above on a collaboration folder in Box to sync its contents to your desktop.
- While the act of syncing a folder is logged, the act of accessing content within the folder through Box Sync without making changes is not logged. If you need to log each time a file in your folder is accessed by a collaborator, set the access level for each collaborator to no higher than Viewer Uploader; for more, see Permission levels in Share and collaborate on files with Box.
Migrate files with Box Sync
You can use Box Sync to migrate content on your computer to Box. Because Box Sync keeps a local copy of the data while it syncs, it will take up space on your computer. If you have a large amount of data to move, or if you have limited space on your computer, UITS recommends uploading the content in manageable chunks by following the steps below. If you have less data, you only need to follow steps 1 through 3.
- Move the content to be migrated into your
Box Syncfolder. Wait for the content to finish syncing to Box.
- Confirm that all the files and folders are in Box. In Box's web client, visually check the files or look for the file count listed by each folder to ensure it matches the source.
- Unsync the content. In Box's web client, on the right side of the folder's bar, under 'Details', toggle the Sync to Desktop switch to the off position. This keeps the copy in Box while removing it from your computer's
Box Syncfolder.If you delete content from your computer's
Box Syncfolder, it will also be deleted from Box.
Unsyncing content also frees up space on your computer. Once the content disappears from your computer's
Box Syncfolder, you can use the freed space to migrate additional files and folders.
- Repeat until all content chunks have been uploaded.
Unlike Dropbox, Box is geared more towards Enterprise. It doesn’t automatically prompt to download the box sync client / automatically start syncing all folders which you have permissions for like Dropbox. Without realising this it can seem like Box Sync isn’t working properly. To get Box Sync working it is a two step process.
Step 1. Download and Install the Box Sync Client
- Log in to the Box web page
- Click on your name at the top right hand side of the page
- Click on Get Box Sync
- Once the file has downloaded, install it as you would any other program
- Sign in to the Box Sync client using your email address and password
Step 2. Select Folders to Sync
- To achieve this all you need to do is:
- Go back to the web interface
- Right Click on the Folder you wish to Sync
- Click on Sync Folder to Computer
Box Sync Not Syncing
You will notice that the folder on the web interface now has a Sync Icon over layed in the bottom left hand corner as per the top folder in the above example
Download Box Sync Windows 10
If you wish to stop a folder from syncing with your computer simply go back to the web interface, right click and choose to unsync it. Office for mac keygen. It will automatically be removed from your computer without deleting the online version